I’m bored. Not from lack of things to do, mind you, but from lack of will to do things. I’m home, as I am most every New Year’s Eve. I’m not a partier, never have been. I logged out of World of Warcraft in a minor snit so now I sit reading blogs and debating on whether to bother opening up a bottle of wine, or just go to bed. As I Twittered, I’m not watching ABC’s New Year Eve program. So the TV is completely off.
In many ways, 2008 was so much better than 2007 and great leaps ahead of the absolute porta-potty of a year that was 2006. And yet…all I can think of are my former coworkers and the empty desks that will still be empty on Friday when I go back to work. Will I still be at the Courier-Post in 2009? I hope so – I still do love working for my hometown paper – but if the layoff scythe doesn’t get me the drain of doing the jobs of two people just might.
If you’ve been reading me long enough, you’ll know that all of my resolutions die painful and over-the-top deaths. So here are some dos and don’ts I hope to stick by in 2009.
- Take what I’ve learned from BlogHer and use it.
- Continue working on my PHP/MySQL and Flash skills and look into Ruby on Rails. If the scythe gets me, I need to be prepared for what comes next
- Pay the $$ and join the little workout center that is not even 50 paces from my building’s back door.
- Write, write, write.
- Go on a diet. Just go back to eating better, like I did this summer, before the evil empire dropped the first layoff letter and I ran to Cheetos for cover. When I was doing it right, I wasn’t hungry.
- Put things off.
- Be a hermit. I can be the happiest of clams at home in my Slanket being social via Facebook. Putting on shoes and going out to lunch won’t kill me.
- Give up. No matter how hard all of the above seems, if I keep plugging away I WILL learn new languages. If I keep making jello and portioning my food I WILL lose weight. If I get laid off, all of the above skills will help me so much.
There will be no wine tonight. I’m going to log back into WoW and wish my game buddies a Happy New Year. Then I’m going to cuddle up with the book WM got me for Christmas and doze my way into a happy, healthy, prosperous 2009.