I believe in second chances

Today I get married again.

A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him. – John Wayne

To make a long story short, WM has been wanting this for years, and I’ve been hemming and hawing. Today that ends.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down. – Mary Pickford

It’s going to be small and quick, yet I felt the need to buy a cream colored dress, to have a bouquet, to foof up my hair, to wear Crest whitestrips, and to indulge in Mom’s “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue” request. (She didn’t accept myself as the “old.”)

We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance. – Harrison Ford

I can’t lie. I’m a bit terrified about the whole thing. For the longest time, I felt like because I failed my first marriage, I didn’t deserve another shot. I didn’t deserve the attention, the gifts, the well-wishes. I mean, I ruined the sanctity of marriage once already, right?

All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else. – Mae West

That self-pity ends this morning. I’m going to do this again, and I’m going to give it every ounce I have.

If you ever get a second chance at life, you’ve got to go all the way. – Lance Armstrong

So at 8:30 this morning, all dozen of you, could you send WM and I some good positive vibes and prayers? Whichever is your thing. If none of those is your thing…play the awesome beginning of Welcome to the Jungle in your head. Dun-na-na-nuh! Dun-na-na-nuh!

For, behold, the winter is past. The rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth. The time of the singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. The fig tree ripens her green figs. The vines are in blossom. They give forth their fragrance. Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away. Solomon 2:11-13

And thus, the era of Kim 4.0 begins.

(Edited on 1/25/13: Six and a half months after I quoted Lance Armstrong above, he admitted to using performance enhancing drugs and lying for decades about it. Hopefully my marriage won’t need performance enhancing drugs.)

About Kimberly

Living in South Jersey. Working in Philadelphia. Playing online.

13 Responses to I believe in second chances

1. Eric Avedissian July 5, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Congratulations! Don’t beat yourself up about your first marriage “failing”. Remember a wounded heart can be mended. The fact that you’re moving on means you’re ready to share your life again. I’ve read your blog throughout the years and have seen how special WM is to you. Both of you share similar interests (Disney, videogaming, Ren Faires, etc.) and that goes a long way in a relationship. Treasure all of these moments as you travel through life together. You and WM deserve every chance at happiness.

2. Brian Z. July 5, 2012 at 8:06 am #

I think that this is fantastic, you guys are fantastic, and Marilyn and I are sending all our good prayers to you guys today. (Oh, and I do NOT much care for you calling yourself “old,” you know…)

3. Helen July 5, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Happened to read this at exactly 8:30, so I’m imaging what must be happening right now! I hope you post some pictures soon to share with us. I wish you both every happiness and a lifetime of wonderful memories. You deserve it.

4. Dave July 5, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Congrats and no, don’t beat yourself up about the previous marriage. You’re a good person with a kind heart. As a friend of mine once said, “Watch where you’re going, not where you’ve been.” Salud, l’chaim, and all that good stuff to you and your new hubby :)

5. Opal July 5, 2012 at 9:17 am #

Congratulations,

I hope, it’s only the beginning of many fabulous years together.

6. Meredith July 5, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Congrats to you both!!!! I hope this is the start of an amazing life for you both, enjoy the moment

7. Dawn July 5, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Um wow! Congratulations!

1st marriages aren’t failures. They’re practice!

8. Steve Hall July 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

I’m a little late with this (well, for today—pretty sure I offered my best wishes when you first announced!), but . . . my most heartfelt best wishes to both of you for a long, happy marriage!

9. Peter Gazzard July 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

I’ve never met WM, but I think I know you well enough to know that you feel 100% confident in this working,so it will. One of the differences in first and second marriages is that in the second we know fairytales need work and understanding!

10. Carol Anne July 9, 2012 at 2:51 am #

Congratulations!

11. InventingLiz July 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

My positive vibes are a bit late, but I hope you’ll take them anyway. I think Kim 4.0 is off to a FANTASTIC start, all the best to you!

12. Jian July 12, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Yes…You’re a good person with a kind heart and you deserve to be happy…maybe I should not say this here…Today is my first day try out with stumble and this is the first page I walk by…But it’s too stressful to keep eye on someone who doesn’t deserve trust…Life it short…Good luck and wish you for the best…

13. Joe July 15, 2012 at 4:25 pm #